So, today for the first time i've tried to deploy a WCF Ria Services application (Silverlight Business Application) to an online server. Of course, the whole app worked great on my dev machine. Not so much the case once I tried to deploy it....

An error message popped up: "Load operation failed for query 'GetUser'. The remote server returned an error: NotFound."

Of course, I had to make sure the server had the same requirements found on my dev machine:

  • WCF RIA Services
  • SQL Server Express 2008 R2
  • .NET 4.0

Then I scoured the web searching to see if anyone else had the same issue. I found a LOT of different possible solutions, so what worked for me may not work for everyone. I read that WCF will only work with one authenticaation scheme active, and the RIA Services application already provided an authentication scheme out of the box (even though it's not really used in the demo). So to solve the problem I turned off Windows authentication and let RIA hold that power.

You can see this demo I refer to here: http://demo.componentone.com/Silverlight/SalesAnalysis/

To turn off Windows Authentication (this was on Windows Server 2003),

  1. Go to the Site or Application properties
  2. Select the Directory Security tab
  3. Click the Edit... button under Authenticate & Control Access
  4. Uncheck the Integrated Windows Authentication checkbox