What Causes Error 5000 CP Internal = 10?

Posted by: odavison on 4 August 2017, 3:21 pm EST

• Posted 4 August 2017, 3:21 pm EST

Our company has a successful product with tens of thousands of customers that has used ActiveReports for many years now. In the past month, we've had three customers report an error for which we've been unable to find a solution.

When running any report (we ship reports as RPX files), they receive:

Error: 5000
    Description: Error in processing report.
    Extended Info: CP internal = 10

All of these customers are using Windows 7. Two are a 64-bit boxes, not sure about the other.

Any insights into possible causes of this error and/or solutions?

ActiveReports version: 2.4.0.1279

Thanks for your help!

• Replied 4 August 2017, 3:21 pm EST

Hi Prantik,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Our application generates a temporary Access database (MDB) file in the user's temporary folder for use with reporting. In order to get to the point in our application where reports can be generated, the database must be created successfully (new MDB file, new tables, new records in those tables, etc.) which makes a Windows permissions problem with the database seem unlikely.

A couple of our reports are unbound (don't link to the database). I'll have the user try those reports explicitly.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll let you know if we make any progress.

Anything else come to mind for us to try?

Best regards,
    Chris

Hello,

The error code that you mention should have to do with the access rights to the database. To test this out, push across a simple RPX(non-databound,with only a field with a static text) and let him run this report. If it runs without the error, then I guess the issue is as I suspect and you may want to give proper permissions on the database to the user.What kind of database are you using? If it is a file(.mdb etc) on the client's machine, then you may want to grant proper permissions to it(this being a Windows 7 machine).

Regards,
    Prantik

Hi Prantik,

We've confirmed that the error is NOT database related. We sent the customer a simple disconnected report with a single label on it that failed with the same error: CP internal = 10.

We've also tried all of the following (none of it helped):
    1) Disabling anti-virus software.
    2) Using the right-click "Run-As Administrator" to start the software.
    3) Running the software in compatibility mode.
    4) Using the latest version of ActiveReports2: 2.5.0.1322.
    5) Turning off DEP (data execution prevention).

Note: One of our customers has reproduced this problem on two different machines (same specs).

Any other thoughts as to what is causing this error? We don't know what else to try.

Thanks,
    Chris

Thank you for sharing this information.This might help other customers as well.

Regards,
    Prantik

I too have a VB6 Access application using Active Reports with thousands of users and have 2-3 users per month suddenly getting Error 5000 CP Internal = 10. (Its not database related) My end users are not tech savvy and not aware of any changes to to their PC. Some may have McAfee with others insisting they dont. My reputation is getting damaged because my software wont print. What is the solution?

Chris,

Are you using the ActiveReports DataControl to fetch data from your database or is it possible that you are using some ADODB connection/recordset etc to do this? If it is the later, there could still be the possibility of an permissions issue. If the error is from ActiveReports, you may try using the Error event of ActiveReports to track down the exact cause.

Regards,
    Prantik

Hi Prantik,

We've confirmed the error is NOT database related by providing the customer with a completely unbound report (no data control). When the report is run, an error 5000 occurs. The test report contains only a label control and runs fine elsewhere, but gets the same error as all the other reports on the customer's system:

Error: 5000
    Description: Error in processing report. [ Extended Info: CP internal=10]

If its not related to database permissions, what else could be causing it?

Thanks!
    Chris

Hello,

Please take a look at these articles that speak of the Error 5000 in ActiveReports 2.0 and its possible causes.Would it be possible to attach a small sample application that may be duplicating the process of report generation as yours? I would try running the same in a Win7 machine and try to reproduce the error. If you have reservations on posting your code on the web,please send across the same through email to powersupport@grapecity.com.

Regards,
    Prantik

As a future reference for anyone else that runs into this problem, we did eventually figure out what the problem was after spending lots of time monitoring what was going on with Microsoft's sysinternals procmon.exe tool. The issue was caused by an installation of McAfee. In this case, the McAfee trial had expired and the product was not functional, but it was still installed on the user's system. McAfee replaces some registry entries related to processing VBScript so that it can intercept VBScript execution and check it for malicious code. On a clean Windows 7 box, the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

contains the following value:

C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll

However, when McAfee is installed, it replaces the reference to VBScript.dll with one of its own files:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\ScriptSn.20110820001617.dll

Note: This is not the only problematic registry entry.

Once McAfee was uninstalled (which wasn't an easy process), reporting started working again.

Hello,

Could you please post a sample with which this issue may be consistently reproducible? Please understand that it might be difficult to come to the exact conclusion regarding the error until we can reproduce the error at my end. Further, it seems that the issue is when you print the reports, for a quick check can you try printing a VB6 Form (through code) in the machine where this issue is observed and check if the issue is present there as well.

Regards,
    Prantik

We recently had the problem crop up twice, for the first time, in the past week.  We told one customer to re-image their PC (since they were a large enterprise customer who could do this quickly and easily).  But another customer was much smaller and did not have much technical expertise.  We did not start getting the error until we did a Windows Anytime Upgrade on Win7 home 64-bit to Pro.  Also, we joined the PC to their domain.

McAfee products had been removed from this PC long ago.  It was an in-house PC of ours that we were reselling to a customer, and we always rip out such bloatware and trial products in favor of Microsoft Security Essentials.  However, when looking at the registry key posted above, we saw that calls were indeed being passed through a McAfee product first.

Once we used the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool, normal functionality of AR2 was restored.  Look up MCPR on CNET downloads to avoid registering on McAfee just to get the tool.

I wish I had more time to investigate so I could tell you more.  I'm wondering if the digital signature associated with the passthru DLL has expired, or if messes up X days past the subscription expiration date.  If I encounter this again, I'll try to gather some more information.

Need extra support?

Upgrade your support plan and get personal unlimited phone support with our customer engagement team

Learn More

Forum Channels