Bug 27010

Posted by: svaz on 8 September 2017, 2:06 pm EST

• Posted 8 September 2017, 2:06 pm EST

Hi

In the previous beta release I noticed a bug i.e. 27010; this bug is related to automatic handling of the charts legend and area, when the text length of items in the legend changes during run time.

In Excel and all other charting tools this is handled automatically by the charting tool, however I noticed that if the length of the text of the items in the legend is not known during the design time

then the legend could occupy the area section.

Are you planning to resolve this issue in your final release or do you have a workaround?

Thanks

Svaz

• Replied 8 September 2017, 2:06 pm EST

Hello Svaz,

Our development team is working on this issue bug number: 27010. We will let you know when there is a Fix or Work-around available.

Thanks,

Svaz,

Excel provides both manual and auto layout modes.  In manual layout mode, the user can position/size the chart elements (i.e. label area, legend area, plot area) any where on the chart including overlapping each other.  In auto layout mode, the user can set the dock position of the legend area and can choose whether the label area and legend area overlaps the plot area.  If user chooses overlap = false then Excel automatically positions/sizes the elements such than the elements do not overlap.

The beta version of our chart only supports a manual layout mode.  In the future, we will most likely add suport for an automatic layout mode similar to Excel.  I am not if that feature will make it into the initial release or will be added sometime further in the future.  Adding the feature will require adding a couple of properties (e.g. AutoLayout, Overlap, etc) to the chart elements.

I understand that it might be a while before this problem is resolved which makes it very difficult to use your charting tool in sophisticated applications for example interactive dashboards. However as a workaround is it possible to add the functionality

1- to have Wrap Text for the Series Name in the legend

2- to set the size of the legend area in code

the above options will allow the application programmers to include some logic and find a workaround for this issue.

Thanks

SVaz,

I could not locate anything to allow word wrap in Series name & to set the size of legend area. However,we can use the vbCrLf (provided we know,where we want the wrap to occur). In the mean time, I am forwarding this to concerned team for their input on this.

Svaz,

As SureshD mentioned, the chart supports multiline text in the text elements (label area, legend area, axis labels, data point labels).  The chart does not support automatic word wrapping.  That is a feature that we are considering for future versions.

The size of the legend area is automatically calculated based on the amount of context (i.e. item keys and item text) and the size of the font.

Need extra support?

Upgrade your support plan and get personal unlimited phone support with our customer engagement team

Learn More

Forum Channels