ActiveReports V16.1 causes VS2022 to hang when opening report designer

Posted by: tes on 7 June 2022, 1:38 am EST

• Post Options:
    • Link

Posted 7 June 2022, 1:38 am EST

Hi,

I have two section reports in a project that was created using VS2019. I was able to upgrade them to the new 16.1 version from version 16.0. I am able to open the report designer in VS2019. The project builds without a problem.

I am able to open and build the project in VS2022. However, when I try to open the reports in the reports designer, VS2022 hangs.

• Posted 8 June 2022, 4:17 am EST

Hi Tracy,

In order to help you resolve this issue, we will need more information. Could you please provide us with the following information?

1. What operating system are you working on? Please share the exact build version.
    2. What exact build of Visual Studio 2022 are you using?

For example- I a using Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2022 (64-bit) - CurrentVersion 17.1.3
    3. Please try creating a new simple project in Visual Studio and let us know if the application is still hanging?
    4. What kind of application are you working on? And, which framework are you using?

Regards,

Akshay

• Posted 8 June 2022, 11:01 pm EST

Hi Akshay,

In reply to your questions:

1. I have tried it on both a Windows 10 (21H2 Build 19044.1706) and Windows 11 (21H2 Build 22000.708)
    2. Visual Studio 2022 version Version 17.2.3 on both machines.
    3. I created a simple project on both Win 10 & Win 11. The application still hangs.
    4. I am creating a .Net Framework application using version 4.8.

Tracy

• Posted 12 June 2022, 6:20 pm EST - Updated 30 September 2022, 6:13 am EST

Hi Tracy,

I was unable to replicate this behavior on my end. The integrated designer for Page Reports, Code-based Section Reports and XML-based Section Reports is working fine on my end.

Please try uninstalling ActiveReports 16 and reinstalling ActiveReports 16.1.1 make sure to select the VisualStudio 2022 integration>Entire feature will be installed on Local hard drive option. Please refer to the attached screenshot for reference.

Then, open the project in Visual Studio and go to Tools>Convert to ActiveReports 16 as this will update all the ActiveReports references in your project to the newly installed version of ActiveReports.

I hope this resolves your issue. Let us know if the issue still persists.

• Posted 13 June 2022, 8:05 pm EST

Hi Tracy,

As the issue was not replicable on my end, I have escalated this issue to the development team[AR-28905]. I will get back to you once I have any information on the same.

Regards,

Akshay

• Posted 13 June 2022, 11:26 pm EST

Hi Akshay,

I did some investigating using a VM and VS 2022. I found that I could install VS 2022 and ActiveReports, create a section report and open it in the designer. The problem with needing to use NuGet to update the new project still occurs.

I then installed my DevExpress controls and the hanging when opening the report designer problem occurred. However, if I opened the windows form in the project and then the ToolBox, allowing the ToolBox to initialize, I could then open the report designer without a problem.

Why this occurs, I hope your development team can figure out. I hope this additional information is helpful.

Tracy

• Posted 14 June 2022, 8:06 pm EST

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for the information. This is very important information for debugging this issue. I have shared this with the development team and I will get back to you with updates.

Meanwhile, Could you please share a sample project and exact steps to reproduce this issue at our end?

Regards,

Akshay

• Posted 14 June 2022, 11:05 pm EST

Hi Akshay,

If you try to build the project you create, you should see the build errors I reported. You then need to open the NuGet Package manager and you will see several Microsoft packages that need to be updated.

Tracy

• Posted 14 June 2022, 11:07 pm EST - Updated 30 September 2022, 6:14 am EST

Hi Akshay,

I don’t need to send a sample project. Just create an ActiveReports Section Report project:

Steps:

1. Install Visual Studio 2022.
    2. Install ActiveReports.
    3. Create an ActiveReports Section Report project.
    4. Open the project and open the section report. You should have no problems.
    5. Download the DevExpress installation package here:

https://www.devexpress.com/subscriptions/dxperience.xml
    6. Install the DevExpress controls.
    7. Reopen the project created in step 3.
    8. Try opening the section report. Visual Studio should hang. Stop Visual Studio.
    9. Reopen the project created in step 3.
    10. Open the windows form in the project.
    11. Open the ToolBox and let it initialize.
    12. Open the section report. The designer should be able to start now.

Tracy

• Posted 15 June 2022, 11:05 pm EST

Hi Tracy,

I was following the steps you mentioned at my end. I noticed that after installing the DevExpress controls the designer did start to hang and stopped working however, once the toolbar was loaded I opened the project then opened the designer. The issue was fixed and did not happen again on my machine.

The devs have suggested that if the Visual studio is failing then the event viewer might show some details on this issue. Could you please try executing Visual Studio with logging: devenv /log mylogfile.xml ?.

Need extra support?

Upgrade your support plan and get personal unlimited phone support with our customer engagement team

Learn More

Forum Channels