AR 13.1 - Print fonts garbles text while export works fine

Posted by: dlipsy on 15 August 2019, 11:10 pm EST

• Post Options:
    • Link

Posted 15 August 2019, 11:10 pm EST

Hello,

I have incorporated custom TrueType fonts in the past into Active Reports viewer/export without issue in AR 12 (and likely AR 11 as well), but I’m encountering an issue with AR 13. I am programatically loading the viewer and then running MyViewer.Print(true, true, true) but I get garbled text in the printed version. Note that my export to PDF from the viewer works just fine and likely embeds the font without issue. When I opened the printed version (if I use Microsoft’s Print to PDF printer driver), when I copy and paste that report text from print fonts.pdf into MS Word, I am seeing that the CIDFont+F1 is being used/applied, rather than the Source Sans Pro font I specified.

Any tips/advice/help or is this a legit bug in the recent AR 13.1?

I’m using the Source Sans Pro font, which can be found here:

https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/source-sans-pro

• Posted 18 August 2019, 4:20 pm EST

Hello Dan,

I have checked at my end and found that issue is reproducible with AR13, AR12, and AR11 at my end. I also checked after printing MSWord document having “Source Sans Pro” font and same issue reproducible with MS Word document. In my understanding, this problem related to the environment problem. Could you check at your end by printing MSWord document having “Source Sans Pro” font?

Thanks.

• Posted 9 September 2019, 8:40 am EST

I’m not seeing any issue when printing a document that uses the Source Sans Pro font in Microsoft Word 365. I’m quite sure it is a print driver issue with AR itself.

Can you please advise?

• Posted 9 September 2019, 4:58 pm EST

Hello,

I have rechecked at my end and found that issue is also reproducible with Microsoft Word 365. Please refer to the attached video for clarification. You can use the Export function instead of print function to save the PDF.

I am using the following environment:

Win10 1903 (US) + Microsoft Word 365

Are you using different environment?

Thanks,

Mohit

vid_FontTest.zip

• Posted 9 September 2019, 11:53 pm EST

I’m sorry - yes, I noticed this, but the printing works fine. Please note what the PDF export when using AR 13 provides. I’ll post a vid showing this as well. Note that the bigger issue is not that it shows CIDFont+F1 but that the printing garbles the numbers. Note that when I use AR 13 PDF export, it is fine. It is only the issue when printing from the AR viewer.

• Posted 9 September 2019, 11:55 pm EST

Please see attached zipped file: PDF-exportAndPrint.zip

For some reason, your forums didn’t reject my PDF files - they are shown in this ZIP file.

• Posted 10 September 2019, 5:58 pm EST

Hello,

I understand, however I am not able to replicate the issue at my end. Please refer to the attached application.

Could you please try with the latest build of AR13 SP2. You can download the same from the following link:

https://global-cdn.grapecity.com/downloads/activereports/ActiveReports-v13.2.18250.0.msi

If the problem still occurs, Could you please either modify the attached application or provide your own stripped-down project so that I can try reproducing the same behavior at my end and assist you further accordingly.

Thanks,

Mohit

RdlReportApplication20.zip

• Posted 12 September 2019, 2:06 am EST

Good news - the updated installer seemed to address/fix the issue. Thanks for your help on this. Will post if anything further comes up.

• Posted 12 September 2019, 5:25 pm EST

Hello,

I am glad that your issue has been resolved using the latest build.

If you face any issue while using the latest build, please let me know. I would be more than happy to help you.

Thanks,

Mohit

Need extra support?

Upgrade your support plan and get personal unlimited phone support with our customer engagement team

Learn More

Forum Channels