Error 5000: Error in processing report

Posted by: spectraqest on 4 August 2017, 4:55 am EST

• Posted 4 August 2017, 4:55 am EST

I have an application that is utilising Active Reports 2. This application includes quite a number of reports that are not bound to a data source but are populated programmatically in response to the events being fired by the reporting engine. I am receiving an intermittent problem where the following error message is give:

Error 5000: Error in processing report

[ Extended Info: CP internal=3]

This does not happen consistently, however once it has occurred I need to shut down the application before the report will work again.

Any suggestions,

Thanks,

Dirk.

The Error 5000 is usually thrown for any number of reasons but most of the time it is related to either data, permission or conflicts between MDAC versions.  If you are able to narrow this issue down please provide more details and I will see to it they we reproduce and get this issue addressed.

Trent,

Thanks for your reply.

As explained previously the report is not bound to any data, therefore it is difficult to understand how this error could be related to data, permission or MDAC conflicts. Can you expand on this further?

Unfortunately the error is intermitant. I have an engineer attempting to create a reliable means of reproducing the problem so we can narrow the error down to a specific routine.

Any other ideas?

Dirk.

Can you post some of the code that you are using so I can see if I spot any anomalies?

Unfortunately it is impractical to post the code. This component forms a part of a much larger piece of software, and has quite a lot of dependencies.

I have been able to reproduce the error reasonably often by following a certain sequence of steps in our software; however I have never been able to reproduce it consistently with any particular sequence of steps. The best (worst? ;p ) I have been able to do is to cause the error 1/3 of the time (roughly).

The error generally only occurs the first time the usercontrol is loaded, after which Activereports no longer seems to function at all. Basically, if the error does not occur when the usercontrol is first loaded, it won't occur until the next time the software is executed.

Some details on the component:

- The usercontrol containing the report is created at runtime.

- When the error occurs, the following sequence of events occurs within the designer at runtime (following each event is a brief description of the code triggered by the event.

ActiveReport_Initialize

initialize some local variables

set labels for some controls

e.g.

Me.Detail.Controls(Index).Tag = xxx

Me.Detail.Controls(Index).Caption = xxx

ActiveReport_DataInitialize

'no code for this event

ActiveReport_ReportStart

'no code for this event

ActiveReport_FetchData

'manually set EOF to true/false

ActiveReport_PageStart

'no code for this event

Detail_Format

'lots of code - approx 1000 lines all up (including subroutines).

this code sets things like font, colour, size, captions

also adds some divider lines, and sets size of lines etc. i.e. Detail.Controls.Add("DDActiveReports.Line")

all of the required data is taken from the database by our code,

and converted to string format.

Plots the points required to display a chart (using a control placed on the designer at design time)

Detail_Format

'called again ... does same as above.

Detail_BeforePrint

'no code for this event

ActiveReport_Error

Triggered with:

Number = 5000

Description = "Error in processing report. [ Extended Info: CP internal=30])"

As it is impractical to provide source code, it is rather difficult to provide much more information, and is impossible for me to debug as I have no idea what the extended info means. If there is anything specific that I can provide, please let me know.

Lief.

Software Engineer

Spectra QEST

Need extra support?

Upgrade your support plan and get personal unlimited phone support with our customer engagement team

Learn More

Forum Channels