Visual Studio 2019 & Active Report v 14 - Report item missing in Add New Item

Posted by: Shane.vickery on 16 February 2020, 4:44 am EST

• Post Options:
    • Link

Posted 16 February 2020, 4:44 am EST

I just did a fresh install of Active reports v 14 on a new machine with Visual Studio 2019 professional installed. I have started a test winforms project and when I right click on the add new item context menu, I cannot find the Active Reports items. I have also reinstalled active reports and still cannot find the section report item. Any help would be appreciated.

• Posted 16 February 2020, 11:35 pm EST

Hello,

Are you using the .Net core application? Have you tried with the latest hotfix:

http://cdn.grapecity.com/ActiveReports/AR14/Hotfixes/ActiveReports-v14.0.19313.msi

Also, please make sure that your application target framework should be 4.6.2 or higher.

Thanks,

Mohit

• Posted 20 February 2020, 2:59 am EST

I installed, uninstalled and reinstalled and it still does not fix the problem. I contacted your support by phone and the person on the line said he has received several users with the same problem.

• Posted 20 February 2020, 3:56 am EST

Hello,

Could you please share the FW of your application. It must be greater than or equal to 4.6.2. Yes there is issue in last builds related to section report designer which is fixed in the latest hotfix:

http://cdn.grapecity.com/ActiveReports/AR14/Hotfixes/ActiveReports-v14.0.19463.msi

However, the section report template is visible in all build.

Could you please share the sample and video to demonstrate the issue.

Thanks,

Mohit

• Posted 20 February 2020, 7:26 am EST

Hotfix 14.0.19463 seems to have resolved the issue. Thank you for your assistance!!!

• Posted 16 June 2020, 7:45 pm EST

Hello,

Sorry to mention that SectionReport does not support the Asp.Net core. You need to use RDL/Page report to use in Asp.Net core environment.

Thanks,

Mohit

• Posted 16 June 2020, 7:49 pm EST - Updated 30 September 2022, 7:57 am EST

Hi

I’ve just installed AR from ActiveReports-v14.1.19970.msi. Since this is a later version than the ‘hotfix’, I’m guessing that’s not something I can try.

I’m using Visual Studio 2019 (V 16.5.5)

It’s an ASP.NET Core 3.1 project.

If I try “Add new item”, I do not see the option for Section Reports - only ‘page’ and ‘RDL’.

I have tried pasting some code for a section report from a different, older .NET framework project into the new project but opening the code does not open the report designer.

Any ideas?

• Posted 16 June 2020, 7:52 pm EST

All I want to do is run the report and export it as a PDF. No web interface, no interactivity. Just basic server-side C# code. Why can I not do that? We just spent a load of money on this version just so we could run these reports in core projects. This is a nightmare!!!

• Posted 16 June 2020, 7:58 pm EST

Hello,

We understand your condition but we are very sorry about this. Due to some internal compatibility issues of SectionReport lib with .Net core, we can’t use the SectionReport report in the .Net core.

We have this feature in our road map to support SectionReport in Asp.Net core application but can’t give you ETA on this.

Again sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Thanks,

Mohit

• Posted 16 June 2020, 8:56 pm EST

Earlier posts (Shane Vickery) suggest that section reports are supported in Windows Forms projects with Core. I just tried with an empty Windows Forms project with Core and I have the same problem - no option for section report.

I wondered if it might be possible to implement the report in a separate class library but I suppose that won’t work (again, no option for section report).

I just tried running a section report I put together just with code to see what would happen and I got an exception: Could not load file or assembly System.CodeDom.

We pay an annual support fee for Active Reports and unless I can come up with a satisfactory way to produce PDFs from section reports in ASP Core projects soon then I think unfortunately that our relationship is in jeopardy.

• Posted 18 June 2020, 1:27 am EST

Hello,

I have forward this to our product team and will inform you once I get any information from them.

Thanks,

Mohit

• Posted 18 June 2020, 3:20 am EST

Hi Mark,

First of all, I hear your concern and apologize for the delay in getting section reports support out.

I do want to clarify one thing. We have been working on section reports support for .NET Core and hope to get that out in 14.2 in early September. Please keep an eye out for that.

Thanks.

Mateen - ActiveReports Product Manager

• Posted 26 August 2020, 11:51 am EST

I can’t add a new report either. VS 2019 with AR 11

• Posted 26 August 2020, 5:42 pm EST

• Posted 14 September 2020, 2:41 am EST

https://www.grapecity.com/forums/ar-dev/visual-studio-2019--active#hi-markfirst-of-all-i-hear

What is the ETA for AR 14.2? I’ve not seen any release notes, so I would assume it has not yet been released. Our team is looking to have Section Reports with AR 14.2 on .NET Core 3.1, when it becomes available.

• Posted 14 September 2020, 4:09 am EST

Hi Dan,

14.2 will be out next week. You should receive an email by mid week with the announcement.

• Posted 22 September 2020, 2:33 pm EST

Hello,

I am glad to tell you that AR14.2 is released now. You can download the same from the from the following link:

https://www.grapecity.com/activereportsnet/download

For new feature in AR14.2, please refer to the following link:

https://www.grapecity.com/activereportsnet/releases/ar-14#activereports-v14-2-september-22-2020

Thanks,

Mohit

Need extra support?

Upgrade your support plan and get personal unlimited phone support with our customer engagement team

Learn More

Forum Channels